About OPEN SWMM
Mission and Intent
The SWMM Knowledge Base is intended to function as an online learning resource for users of the public domain EPA SWMM program. It consists of digitally curated content from the SWMM-USERS list server, organized in an easily readable format. Fully searchable, the SWMM Knowledge Base provides a high signal-to-noise ratio, and promotes content discoverability through related topic suggestions.
Together with the open access Journal of Water Management Modeling, the annual International Conference on Water Management Modeling, and the SWMM-USERS list server, the SWMM Knowledge Base rounds out a group of high quality resources that supports, promotes and encourages development of SWMM by the EPA and the user community. The SWMM Knowledge Base is hosted and moderated by CHI.
The SWMM Knowledge Base will continue to solicit feedback from the community in making the presentation as accessible and usable as possible. Please send any comments and questions to staff at email@example.com.
The SWMM Knowledge Base is not open for direct posting by users
Currently the only way to contribute content to the SWMM Knowledge Base is through the free SWMM-USERS list server. If you have an EPA SWMM5 related question, or would like to contribute to an ongoing discussion, please join the SWMM-USERS list server (see below for instructions) and post your question or contribution there.
SWMM-USERS list server
The SWMM-USERS list server is an email-based forum for users of the public-domain US EPA SWMM program to share ideas and ask questions on issues related to water management modeling with SWMM. Subscription is free, and subscribers receive all the email that is sent to the list and can in turn send email to the list. The list is carefully monitored to discourage off-topic posts, and discussions are archived in the SWMM Knowledge Base.
Subscribing to SWMM-USERS
To subscribe to the list, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not put anything in the subject line and, in the body of the message, include the following line (with NO other text and no brackets):
SUBSCRIBE SWMM-USERS [your first name] [your last name]
SUBSCRIBE SWMM-USERS JANE DOE
It is very important to subscribe to the list from the email account that you wish to use for SWMM-USERS communications (the "reply to" email address is used by the list server). Also, if you are changing or terminating an email address, please remember to unsubscribe from that address before you close it.
Before being subscribed you will receive an email explaining in some detail the philosophy of the list, and its procedures for protecting against spammers (see conditions for subscribing below). Once subscribed, you will receive a confirmation email detailing the email address to send SWMM-USERS communications to, and providing other information about the list server. Please archive this email for future reference, as you will need it.
Unsubscribing from SWMM-USERS
To leave the list, send this message (with NO other text and no brackets) to email@example.com:
Conditions for subscribing
We endeavour to keep both the SWMM Knowledge Base and the SWMM-USERS list server thoroughly professional, focused on promoting the wise use of the public domain EPA SWMM software, and free of commercialism and extraneous issues.
This technical list has an extraordinary signal-to-noise ratio, which we wish to protect. Before being subscribed, you will be asked to agree to the following 4 simple conditions:
- I agree to not promote a commercial product or service on the list.
- I acknowledge that discussion should be limited to the wise use of the public-domain EPA SWMM program.
- I have read and will make every attempt to abide by the guidelines for posting (see Guidelines for posting below).
- I agree to have a curated version of my postings archived in the SWMM Knowledgebase for the benefit of future SWMM users (see Digital curation below).
Contravening these conditions may result in your membership being rescinded, at least until such time as the problem can be resolved. In addition, please note that your membership may be automatically deleted if the list server interprets your post as spam. If this happens to you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Let us know if you have any questions or problems. We feel confident that you will enjoy being a member of this helpful, professional and dedicated group.
Guidelines for posting
The SWMM-USERs listserver differs from online forums in that all posts are sent to all member's professional email inbox. While this proactive approach encourages a timely response, subscribers have higher standards and expect to receive only a specific type of information from specific people.
As such, all posts must support the official business of the list, which is technical aspects of the wise use of public-domain EPA SWMM. Do not post anything unless you are certain that it is appropriate for the list. If you aren't sure, email us at email@example.com first (especially if it could be construed as an advertisement or blatant promotion).
Announcements of upcoming related conferences or job opportunities are permitted if limited to a single line plus a URL pointing the reader to more information.
This is a professional, technical environment: postings should be attributable and conform to professional standards and ethics. Don't make unsubstantiated accusations, aspersions, sweeping claims or characterize the intent of others. Don't make an unpleasant gripe, or broadcast a criticism of a product or service that cannot be responded to in the spirit of these rules. Don't post to the list under someone else's email or if you are not a bona fide member.
For privacy, security and brevity, images and attachments are not permitted and will be removed by the server when sending emails to the list. If you wish to include data sets or SWMM model files, paste the data or input file (in part or in whole) into the body of your email. Simplifying your model to the minimum necessary helps control the size of the email everybody receives.
In most cases, reply to the whole list so that future users of EPA SWMM can benefit from the archived knowledge. To make the archive more useful, please limit discussion to one topic per posting thread, and relate the subject heading precisely to the content.
If you are annoyed by a posting, email that person privately. Remember to be kind, the sender just made a mistake as we all do. If you can't resolve the issue contact the list owner.
General posting etiquette
- Be especially polite, as readers cannot tell whether you are joking.
- Never send negative messages. Don't be terse. Use the phone instead.
- Don't use capital letters: this is SHOUTING and is considered RUDE.
- Don't edit quoted messages to change their meaning.
- Don't echo back long messages.
- Don't react to a flame, but post a brief apology for unintended impact or unacceptable use.
- Never send a message when you are angry or upset.
- Be patient with inexperienced list users.
- Give senders the benefit of the doubt.
- Review your message before posting it.
- Always Think before Send.
- And, finally, enjoy the list's benefits and share your enjoyment by being pleasant.
To enhance the effectiveness of the SWMM Knowledge Base as a resource for those interested in learning the application of EPA SWMM, SWMM-USERS content is subject to automatic processing, and may be subject to manual processing before inclusion in the SWMM Knowledge Base. This processing is intended to improve the readability, specificity and succinctness of discussion threads and the effectiveness of the search engine.
The following processing of SWMM-USERS content is automatically performed by the server:
- Grouping of emails into discussion topics/threads
- Removal of salutations and signatures for brevity
- Removal of quoted messages to avoid redundancy
- Redaction of email addresses for privacy
- Detection and formatting of paragraphs
- Detection and formatting of numbered lists
- Detection and formatting of code snippets and tabular data
There may also be some manual editing performed, strictly limited to:
- Correcting mistakes made by the automatic processing, such as incorrectly removed content or incorrect formatting
- Merging or splitting of threads to follow the one topic per thread guideline
- Renaming of threads to better match the subject matter
- Spelling and/or grammatical corrections to enhance readability
In all cases, the original, largely unprocessed email is available for viewing (email addresses are still redacted). If you find errors or omissions caused by processing, or poorly formatted content, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will try to address it immediately.
Deprecation helps improve the signal to noise ratio of the SWMM Knowledge Base and involves the demoting of content that either does not conform to the posting standards of the SWMM-USERs list server, or was of a time sensitive nature and is no longer useful to current readers. Deprecated posts are still available, but are not displayed by default. As a result, search results become more useful to those interested in learning about the application of EPA SWMM. In each case, the reason for deprecation is given. Reasons may include:
Occasionally two identical or almost identical posts are made. This may be due to bugs in the SWMM-USERS list server software, or due to inadvertent double posts by users. In these cases, one of the posts is deprecated.
Dated information of no historical interest
Some posts pertain to announcements of long-past events (such as meetings, surveys, etc.) and are thus of little value to current readers. Other time sensitive information may not be deprecated due to historical interest (such as discussion of older SWMM features or bugs).
Not relevant to the use of EPA SWMM - pertains to commercial software
Questions and answers that are specific to the use of commercial modeling software (either SWMM "shells" or alternative modeling software) are sometimes posted in error to the SWMM-USERS list server and are deprecated here.
Not relevant to the use of EPA SWMM - pertains to other software
Similarly, discussions that are strictly about other non-commercial software packages (e.g. HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, etc.) are also discouraged on SWMM-USERS and deprecated here.
Does not meaningfully add to the discussion or knowledge base
This reason applies to a number of types of deprecated posts. Examples include: one line posts expressing thanks (deprecated for brevity), inadvertent posts that were meant to be sent directly to an individual, apologies for these inadvertent posts, posts on topics outside of the intent of the SWMM-USERS list server, posts that do not inform the discussion topic and routine reminders of posting standards.
If you feel a post has been deprecated in error or there is content that should be deprecated, please email email@example.com and we will try to address it immediately.
Threads listed in the hot topics section on the home page are automatically selected by the server based on the largest number of contributions for current year.
- The content of the pages of this website is for your general information and use only. It is subject to change without notice.
- This website contains user-submitted content not written or reviewed by CHI. The inclusion of this content does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.
- Neither we nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements.
- This website contains material which is owned by or licensed to us. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance and graphics. Reproduction is prohibited other than in accordance with the copyright notice, which forms part of these terms and conditions.
- Through this website you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of CHI. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.
- All trade marks reproduced in this website which are not the property of, or licensed to, the operator are acknowledged on the website.
- Unauthorised use of this website may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
- Every effort is made to keep the website up and running smoothly. However, CHI takes no responsibility for, and will not be liable for, the website being temporarily unavailable due to technical issues beyond our control.
The SWMM Knowledge Base is made available without barriers to all who could benefit from it. SWMM Knowledge Base content can be downloaded, printed, copied, distributed, and linked-to, provided full attribution to both the SWMM Knowledge Base and the author is given. SWMM Knowledge Base content may not be re-published, either online or in print, in part or in whole, without prior written consent of both CHI and the authors involved.