About OPEN SWMM
Mission and Intent
The SWMM Knowledge Base is intended to function as an online learning resource for users of the public domain EPA SWMM program. It consists of digitally curated content from the SWMM-USERS list server, organized in an easily readable format. Fully searchable, the SWMM Knowledge Base provides a high signal-to-noise ratio, and promotes content discoverability through related topic suggestions.
Together with the open access Journal of Water Management Modeling, the annual International Conference on Water Management Modeling, and the SWMM-USERS list server, the SWMM Knowledge Base rounds out a group of high quality resources that supports, promotes and encourages development of SWMM by the EPA and the user community. The SWMM Knowledge Base is hosted and moderated by CHI.
The SWMM Knowledge Base will continue to solicit feedback from the community in making the presentation as accessible and usable as possible. Please send any comments and questions to staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The SWMM Knowledge Base is not open for direct posting by users
Currently the only way to contribute content to the SWMM Knowledge Base is through the free SWMM-USERS list server. If you have an EPA SWMM5 related question, or would like to contribute to an ongoing discussion, please join the SWMM-USERS list server (see below for instructions) and post your question or contribution there.
SWMM-USERS list server
The SWMM-USERS list server is an email-based forum for users of the public-domain US EPA SWMM program to share ideas and ask questions on issues related to water management modeling with SWMM. Subscription is free, and subscribers receive all the email that is sent to the list and can in turn send email to the list. The list is carefully monitored to discourage off-topic posts, and discussions are archived in the SWMM Knowledge Base.
Subscribing to SWMM-USERS
To subscribe to the list, send an email to email@example.com. Do not put anything in the subject line and, in the body of the message, include the following line (with NO other text and no brackets):
SUBSCRIBE SWMM-USERS [your first name] [your last name]
SUBSCRIBE SWMM-USERS JANE DOE
It is very important to subscribe to the list from the email account that you wish to use for SWMM-USERS communications (the "reply to" email address is used by the list server). Also, if you are changing or terminating an email address, please remember to unsubscribe from that address before you close it.
Before being subscribed you will receive an email explaining in some detail the philosophy of the list, and its procedures for protecting against spammers (see conditions for subscribing below). Once subscribed, you will receive a confirmation email detailing the email address to send SWMM-USERS communications to, and providing other information about the list server. Please archive this email for future reference, as you will need it.
Unsubscribing from SWMM-USERS
To leave the list, send this message (with NO other text and no brackets) to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Going to be away?
When you are temporarily away from your email account, you may find it convenient to temporarily unsubscribe, or to receive SWMM-USERS communications in digest form. To do this, send the following line to email@example.com (from your subscribed email account):
SET SWMM-USERS MAIL DIGEST
Conditions for subscribing
We endeavour to keep SWMM-USERS thoroughly professional, with a strong focus on being helpful, promoting the wise use of the public domain software involved, free of commercialism and extraneous issues. The list may generate up to about 5 emails per day. It has an extraordinary signal to noise ratio, which we wish to protect (see the guidelines for posting below). Before your subscription is authorized, you will be asked to respond to each and every point below:
- Please very briefly state why you wish to subscribe: we would like to know whether you intend to use the list or its archive to promote any product or service, especially one that competes with the list's purpose (wise use of a public-domain software). In general it is not permitted to promote to the entire list any product or service associated with you or your company. It is however permitted to post ONE line (linking to additional material on the Internet) regarding a commercial product or service, if, AND ONLY IF, it directly answers/solves the poster's question and is of interest to the entire list (otherwise reply to the person directly). For example, a permitted post would be: Q: "How can I get training on model X", A: "Here is a link to a workshop." An example of a NON-permitted post would be: Q: "What is the best way to model inflatable dams in EPA SWMM?" A: "Our product does it better, here is a description." Kindly email the list owner directly if you read any posting that may be deemed to promote a product or service and not abide by this guideline.
- If you wish to post an announcement that may conflict with this above guideline, please clear it first by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The list owner will generally post a simple one line announcement with an associated URL.
- To develop a profile of users, we also need to know what company you work for and its products and services.
- Use your official business email address, rather than a generic email domain such as hotmail, AOL, yahoo and the like. If you must use them, give clear reasons why. Bear in mind that this is a professional list and that we are proceeding to eliminate generic domain addresses.
- Provide your office phone number where you may be contacted during business hours to discuss issues that may crop up regarding postings.
- No postings to the list are permitted that may be construed to be defamatory or legally actionable, whether regarding persons, companies or products. You are responsible for legal consequences of your broadcast statements. You must reply unambiguously accepting this responsibility.
- You must agree not to repost the postings made on this list on any other bulletin board, list or in any other forum.
- On the other hand, we require your permission for the use of your postings (un-attributed or attributed if appropriate), obtained from the list archive, in the SWMM Knowledge Base, currently hosted at openswmm.org.
Finally there are some obligations on the part of subscribers that you should know about. Failure may result in summary deletion of your subscription.
- In particular you alone are responsible for maintaining your subscription. Kindly sign off before your subscribed email address becomes defunct or your mailbox fills. Sign off instructions are appended to the bottom of every posting. Do not email us or the list asking for your subscription to be adjusted. Sign off and on before your IT manager changes your email address.
- Do not use any automatic replies (e.g. "out of office") as they go to the entire list (potentially about 1000 busy folks).
- Please do not use a lengthy signature regardless of your company's policies, because the archive is enormous and we need to reduce unnecessary info. Your email address is in any case in the FROM line. No legalese is required in your signature.
- The list uses auto-anti-spamming software, and other auto-deletion utilities, so do not send any spams or spam-like wording, exclamation marks, $$ signs etc.
Most of these problems will probably result in auto-deletion of your subscription, so if you find that you are not receiving email from the list, or your emails to the list are rejected, please don't hesitate to re-subscribe. The system will let you know if you are subscribed.
Let us know if you have any questions or problems. We know that you will enjoy being a member of this helpful, professional group. We need your help to keep it that way.
Guidelines for posting
Email is great for communications, one-to-one and one-to-many. Whether this is good or bad depends on how you use it. Below are a few tips for making the SWMM-USERS list server work for all of us.
The attributes of email are: ease; a handy record; overcomes mismatches in schedules; cheapness; saves time; replaces meetings; fosters a sense of community. Subscribers have however certain expectations of the list - they expect to get specific information on specific topics from specific people. They should not be forced to receive other types of material.
Lists have a purpose - ours are for professional business. It is important to post only info directly related to the topic of the list; you owe it to your colleagues only to post info that they absolutely have to see. Do not post anything unless you are certain that it is appropriate for the list - if you aren't sure contact the list owner first. Don't pass on info you get via Internet, since we have probably all seen it elsewhere already. Before you post something that could be construed as an advertisement or blatant promotion, contact the list owner.
In most cases, reply to the whole list so that future users of EPA SWMM can benefit from the archived knowledge. Avoid email storms whereby we get repeated requests to stop off-topic postings, or requests to unsubscribe the sender. Do not post to lists if you are not a bona fide member - this is like walking uninvited into a private meeting and breaking into the discussion.
For privacy and security, images and attachments are not permitted and will be removed by the server when sending emails to the list. If you wish to include data sets or SWMM model files, please paste the data or input file (in part or in whole) into the body of your email.
If you are annoyed by a posting, email that person privately. Remember to be kind, the sender just made a mistake as we all do. If you can't resolve the issue contact the list owner.
- Review your messages before posting them
- Be especially polite, as readers cannot tell whether you are joking.
- Never send negative messages. Don't be terse. Use the phone instead.
- Don't use capital letters: this is SHOUTING and is considered RUDE.
- Use emoticons :) :(
- Make the type of info clear (e.g. is this "official"?)
- The message must support the official business of the list or the group.
- The info must be needed by the recipients.
- It must be clear to the recipient why the message was received.
- Only one topic per posting thread please, and subject heading must relate precisely to the content.
- The message must be brief and to the point.
- When including data sets or models in the body of your email, please do not include any more than absolutely necessary to illustrate your point. Simplifying your model helps control the size of the email everybody receives.
- Don't echo back long messages.
- Don't edit quoted messages to change their meaning.
- Your message should in most cases be time-critical.
- All postings must follow the University's policies on Acceptable Use, Misconduct, etc.
- Moreover, in a professional environment such as this, postings should conform to professional standards and ethics - e.g. never make unsubstantiated accusations or sweeping claims.
- Don't react to a flame, but post a brief apology for unintended impact or unacceptable use.
- Never send a message when you are angry or upset.
- Be patient with inexperienced list users.
- Give senders the benefit of the doubt.
- Posting of info that is merely interesting, or nice to know such as info about extraneous events, or articles for sale, or opinion, is not acceptable on these special-purpose listservers.
- Do not post on these technical lists material that:
- is purely religious in nature,
- appeals for financial or similar help,
- is purely political,
- attempts to promote or sell services or stuff,
- promotes personal "opportunities",
- broadcasts an unpleasant gripe, or
- broadcasts a criticism of a product that cannot be responded to in the spirit of these rules.
- Always Think before Send.
- Enjoy the list's benefits and share your enjoyment by being pleasant.
To enhance the effectiveness of the SWMM Knowledge Base as a resource for those interested in learning the application of EPA SWMM, SWMM-USERS content is subject to automatic processing, and may be subject to manual processing before inclusion in the SWMM Knowledge Base. This processing is intended to improve the readability of discussion threads and the effectiveness of the search engine.
The following processing of SWMM-USERS content is automatically performed by the server:
- Grouping of emails into discussion topics/threads
- Removal of salutations and signatures for brevity
- Removal of quoted messages to avoid redundancy
- Redaction of email addresses for privacy
- Detection and formatting of paragraphs
- Detection and formatting of numbered lists
- Detection and formatting of code snippets and tabular data
There may also be some manual editing performed, strictly limited to:
- Correcting mistakes made by the automatic processing, such as incorrectly removed content or incorrect formatting
- Merging or splitting of threads to follow the one topic per thread guideline
- Renaming of threads to better match the subject matter
- Spelling and/or grammatical corrections to enhance readability
In all cases, the original, largely unprocessed email is available for viewing (email addresses are still redacted). If you find errors or omissions caused by processing, or poorly formatted content, please email email@example.com and we will try to address it immediately.
Deprecation helps improve the signal to noise ratio of the SWMM Knowledge Base and involves the demoting of content that either does not conform to the posting standards of the SWMM-USERs list server, or was of a time sensitive nature and is no longer useful to current readers. Deprecated posts are still available, but are not displayed by default. As a result, search results become more useful to those interested in learning about the application of EPA SWMM. In each case, the reason for deprecation is given. Reasons may include:
Occasionally two identical or almost identical posts are made. This may be due to bugs in the SWMM-USERS list server software, or due to inadvertent double posts by users. In these cases, one of the posts is deprecated.
Dated information of no historical interest
Some posts pertain to announcements of long-past events (such as meetings, surveys, etc.) and are thus of little value to current readers. Other time sensitive information may not be deprecated due to historical interest (such as discussion of older SWMM features or bugs).
Not relevant to the use of EPA SWMM - pertains to commercial software
Questions and answers that are specific to the use of commercial modeling software (either SWMM "shells" or alternative modeling software) are sometimes posted in error to the SWMM-USERS list server and are deprecated here.
Not relevant to the use of EPA SWMM - pertains to other software
Similarly, discussions that are strictly about other non-commercial software packages (e.g. HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, etc.) are also discouraged on SWMM-USERS and deprecated here.
Does not meaningfully add to the knowledge base
This reason applies to a number of types of deprecated posts. Examples include: one line posts expressing thanks (deprecated for brevity), inadvertent posts that were meant to be sent directly to an individual, apologies for these inadvertent posts, posts on topics outside of the intent of the SWMM-USERS list server, and routine reminders of posting standards.
If you feel a post has been deprecated in error or there is content that should be deprecated, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will try to address it immediately.
Threads listed in the hot topics section on the home page are automatically selected by the server based on the largest number of contributions for current year.
- The content of the pages of this website is for your general information and use only. It is subject to change without notice.
- This website contains user-submitted content not written or reviewed by CHI. The inclusion of this content in the SWMM Knowledge Base does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.
- Neither we nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements.
- This website contains materials which is owned by or licensed to us. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance and graphics. Reproduction is prohibited other than in accordance with the copyright notice, which forms part of these terms and conditions.
- Through this website you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of CHI. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.
- All trade marks reproduced in this website which are not the property of, or licensed to, the operator are acknowledged on the website.
- Unauthorised use of this website may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
- Every effort is made to keep the website up and running smoothly. However, CHI takes no responsibility for, and will not be liable for, the website being temporarily unavailable due to technical issues beyond our control.
The SWMM Knowledge Base is made available without barriers to all who could benefit from it. SWMM Knowledge Base content can be downloaded, printed, copied, distributed, and linked-to, provided full attribution to both the SWMM Knowledge Base and the author is given. SWMM Knowledge Base content may not be re-published, either online or in print, in part or in whole, without prior written consent of both CHI and the authors involved.